You are here

Grant Money for Off Campus Study

The Institute for International Education (IIE) is accepting applications for students studying abroad during the academic year. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is sponsored by the United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and is open to all U.S. undergraduates, in good academic standing, who meet the criteria listed below:

  • Students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant or during the term of study abroad.
  • The student who is applying must have been accepted into a study abroad program eligible for credit by MCAD.
  • Students must study abroad for a least four weeks in one country.
  • The grant is for any country except Cuba or any nation currently under a U.S. Department of State issued Travel Warning.

The goal of the Gilman Scholarship is to diversify the kinds of students who study abroad and the countries and regions where they go. Specifically, the Gilman Program offers scholarships for students who have been traditionally under-represented in education abroad including, but not limited to:

  • students with high financial need;
  • students from diverse ethnic backgrounds;
  • students going to non-traditional countries (especially outside of Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand);
  • students attending community colleges;
  • students in under-represented fields of study;
  • students of non-traditional age;
  • and students with disabilities.

Sponsored by: U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Administered by: Institute of International Education